A labiaplasty is a surgical procedure that reduces and refines the labia, enhancing the appearance of an uneven or enlarged labia minora and improving sexual sensation.
Board-certified female plastic surgeon, Dr. Cara Downey, has over 15 years of experience as one of the most prominent female surgeons in Houston, Texas. She continuously performs labiaplasty procedures that result in functional and aesthetic improvements for many women every year.
HOW MUCH DOES A LABIAPLASTY COST?
In Houston, Labiaplasty costs $4,000 – $6,000. The final price may fluctuate depending on the surgeon’s fee, the extent of the procedure, or the location of the surgery.
We accept cash, personal checks, and all major credit cards. You will be given an accurate quotation during your initial consultation.
REASONS FOR GETTING THIS PROCEDURE
Labiaplasty is just one of many vaginal rejuvenation techniques that can be used to obtain a more feminine and aesthetically pleasing appearance. Labia minora reduction can also address functional issues, such as excess skin from weight loss that may prohibit pleasure and uneven or enlarged labia that can cause chafing or pain during sexual intercourse.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES?
- The Edge Technique
Also known as the trim technique, this procedure aims to make the inner labia slightly receded from the outer labia. It removes the darkest parts of the labia, making it a popular technique. It is ideal for women with an enlarged inner labium.
- The Wedge Technique
The wedge technique is targeted to women who want a smaller, tighter-looking labia that still keeps its natural contours. It is also ideal for fixing an unevenly enlarged labia minora. Unlike the edge technique, this does not remove the darker areas of the labia.
HOW IS THE PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
It takes 30 minutes to one hour to perform.
Both forms of labiaplasty may be performed under local anesthesia with oral sedation. If labiaplasty is performed together with other vaginal rejuvenation techniques (such as clitoral hood reduction or vaginoplasty), general anesthesia is also an option.
Your surgeon will use surgical markers to designate the appropriate incision points: either vertically along the labia minora (edge labiaplasty) or a v-shaped wedge (wedge labiaplasty).
All incisions will be closed with dissolvable sutures.
- For edge labiaplasty, the sutures will run along the center of the labia minora to promote healing. The resulting scar is barely noticeable once the body has absorbed the stitches.
- Wedge labiaplasty instead uses vertical sutures to attach and tighten the remaining labial tissue. The scar is easily hidden among the labial folds.
WHAT IS THE EXPECTED RECOVERY?
Regardless of the technique used, labiaplasty is an outpatient procedure. However, it can take 6 – 8 weeks for you to fully recover from surgery.
You can review the expected timeline for the recovery below.
24 Hours After Surgery
- Some swelling will be noticeable immediately after surgery.
- A support garment will be supplied by your doctor and must be worn immediately.
- Pain can be controlled with oral painkillers.
- Do not touch or clean the treated area so that healing will begin.
- Chafing may be uncomfortable, so it is also recommended to wear nothing or extremely loose undergarments under a skirt.
- Reduce swelling by lying down with a pillow beneath your buttocks for 24 – 48 hours.
- Ice can only be applied to the treated area during the first 24 – 48 hours to reduce swelling and discomfort.
1 – 3 Weeks After Surgery
- You may return to work once chafing subsides in about one week. You can also begin to apply ice on the labia to ease discomfort as needed.
- Sutures will dissolve within a week or two. Minor bleeding may continue for 3 – 4 weeks.
- Always keep your genitals clean with your doctor-recommended antibacterial soap to facilitate healing, but refrain from soaking in water too long for three weeks.
3 Months After Surgery
- Scars will manifest about a month after surgery, but they will be very subtle or easily hidden.
- After 4 – 6 weeks, you may return to your normal physical activities such as chores, exercise, and driving. Sexual activity can resume within this time, should healing progress normally.
- Your results will finalize after 6 – 8 weeks.
Request Your Consultation
To learn more about labiaplasty, you can schedule an appointment online or you can call +1 713-496-2427