Houston Plastic Surgeon
Dr. Cara R. Downey is among the most trusted board-certified plastic surgeons in Houston, Texas. Her 12 years of unparalleled experience, combined with an artful understanding of the human body, has enabled her to craft life-changing and beautiful results to countless patients around the world.
Education & Medical School
Dr. Downey is a proud native of Houston. She attained her undergraduate degree with honors from the University of Texas at Austin’s College of Natural Science. As a Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, Dr. Downey returned to Houston to complete her medical degree at the Baylor College of Medicine.
Dr. Downey extended her stay at the Baylor College of Medicine in order to complete an integrated residency in plastic surgery. During her six years of rigorous training, Dr. Downey specialized in breast reconstruction after mastectomy, breast surgery, and cosmetic surgery. She focused on areas of ‘DIEP’ reconstruction for breast cancer and the restoration of the female figure after childbearing.
As a passionate educator, Dr. Cara Downey serves as a Clinical Assistant Professor at the Baylor College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery (Plastic Surgery Division). She has written multiple book chapters and articles in highly-respected peer-reviewed journals. In addition, Dr. Downey has led a number of scientific presentations in the United States and Brazil.
Dr. Downey is married to fellow Houston plastic surgeon, Dr. Jamal Bullocks. She and her husband are proud parents of twin girls and a baby boy. The Downey-Bullocks family enjoys outdoor activities and the arts.
Sept. 2013 -Present
Clinical Assistant Professor
Department of Surgery (Plastic Surgery Division)
Baylor College of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine Michael E. Debakey Department of Surgery Division of Plastic Surgery
Houston, TX Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency 2007-2013
University of Texas at Austin, College of Natural Sciences Austin, TX
Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, concentrations in Spanish, Immunology and Pathogenicity, 2003
Graduated with High Honors
Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Organizations and Societies
- 2002 – Present Phi Beta Kappa
- 2013 – Present Texas Medical Association
- 2013 – Present Harris County Medical Society
- Bullocks J, Downey C, Gibler PD, Netscher D. Crystal Deposition Disease Masquerading as Proliferative Tenosynovitis and its Associated Sequelae. Ann PlastSurg. 2009 Feb;62(2):128-33.
- McCord S, Naik B, Murphy K, McLane K, Gay A, Basu B, Downey C, Hollier L,Olutoye O. Negative Pressure Therapy is Effective to manage a Variety of Wounds in Infants and Children. Wound Repair and Regeneration. 2007 May; 15(3): 296-301.
- Stevens P, Downey C, Boyd V, Cole P, Stal S, Edmond J, Hollier L. Deformational Plagiocephaly Associated with Ocular Torticollis: a Clinical Study and Literature Review. J Craniofac Surg. 2007 Mar;18(2): 399-405.
- Brown R, Downey C, Izaddoost S. Systemic Capillary Leak Syndrome: A Rare Etiology of Compartment Syndrome. In press.
- Kelly B, Downey C, Stal S. Evaluation and Reduction of Nasal Trauma. Seminars of Plastic Surgery 2010.
- Downey C, Oluseyi A, Namir S, Naik B, Hatef D, Bullocks J, Friedman J. An Algorithmic Approach to the Management of Limb Ischemia in Infants and Young Children. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 131(3):573-581, March 2013.
Advanced Surgical Suturing Course
Michael E. Debakey Department of Surgery Houston, Texas
Scholarships, Awards and Recognitions
2007 – Plastic Surgery Medical Student of the Year
1999-2002 – University Honors, University of Texas at Austin
1999 – Sandi Hanson Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Botulinum Toxin A for the Prevention of Static Rhytids in Young Women.
Modifications of the Lejour Mastopexy for the Treatment of a Variety of Breast Deformities.
Summer 2002 Research Student;
Summer Research Program
Southwestern Medical School Department of Neuroradiology: Fredrick J. Bonte, MD
Projects: Nanoparticles as a drug delivery across the blood brain barrier
Gulf War Syndrome and effects on brain SPECT images
Effects of cocaine abuse to brain SPECT images
An Anatomical Basis for the Management of Peripheral Vascular Injuries inInfants: The Role of Color Flow Doppler
Texas Children’s Hospital Surgical Research Day Houston, TX
Modifications of the Lejour Mastopexy for the Treatment of a Variety of Breast Deformities
Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
Eight Years of Experience Using Microvascular Surgery for the Treatmentof Peripheral Vascular Injuries: An Adjunct to Vascular Surgery
American College of Surgeons
Southwest Clinical Congress Houston, Texas
Crystal Deposition Disease Masquerading as Proliferative Tenosynovitis and its Associated Sequelae
American Association of Hand Surgeons
Beverly Hills, California
Quantitative Strength Analysis of Traditional Suture Closure Techniques Compared to Absorbable Subcuticular Skin Staples and Topical Skin Adhesive
Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
San Antonio, Texas
Postoperative Molding to Improve the Result of Cranial Vault Remodeling
17th Annual International Craniofacial Meeting Bahia, Brazil