Breast Lift surgery removes excess and sagging tissue from the breasts due to massive weight loss, a mild result of breastfeeding or even the effects of gravity over time.
As a mother of five, Dr. Cara Downey understands the effects these aesthetic concerns can leave on the body. Her goal as one of the leading plastic surgeons in Houston is to restore her patient’s breasts and nipple projection for a youthful profile. Dr. Downey’s attention to detail and exceptional patient care has allowed her to perform over 100 successful breast lift procedures.
HOW MUCH DOES A BREAST LIFT COST?
The cost of breast lift in Houston ranges from $3, 000 – $10, 000. The final cost for your procedure depends on the surgeon’s fee, location, and other miscellaneous medical expenses.
We accept cash and all major credit cards.
Since breast lift is typically more about the cosmetic appearance of the breast and less of medical necessity, it is not covered by most insurance plans. However, if the lift is incorporated in a large volume reduction of breast tissue, it may be covered by insurance.
Breast Lift Before and After Photos
ARE YOU QUALIFIED FOR THE PROCEDURE?
Good candidates for a breast lift are women in good health. Women above the age of 40 or those who carry a significant history of breast cancer are required to have a mammogram screening prior to surgery. Additionally, women who experience irregularities such as nipple discharge, skin dimpling, or lumps also need to undergo screening tests.
Ideal candidates also experience a host of symptoms such as:
- Sagging breasts skin
- Deflated breasts due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, and massive weight loss
- Low lying nipples
- Breast asymmetry
Women who just gave birth or wish to have children must wait until breastfeeding is completed. This gives the breasts ample time to return to its final position on the chest. Any changes made before this time will alter the final results.
Additionally, women can combine this procedure in a Mommy Makeover, which addresses a woman’s post-pregnancy body. It combines breast lift in a single-session surgery with breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction.
It is also important to remember that you have realistic goals set for this surgery. You must accept that a lasting scar will be the trade-off for an improvement in the position and shape of your breasts.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE SURGERY?
A healthy diet in the weeks leading up to surgery is a must. It is also important to refrain from vices such as smoking and drinking for 4 – 8 weeks before and after surgery to avoid complications.
HOW IS THE PROCEDURE PERFORMED?
Breast lift is an outpatient procedure that takes 2 – 4 hours to perform. General anesthesia is administered to ensure you are comfortable and pain-free through the surgery.
Dr. Downey raises the breasts and repositions the tissues, skin, nipples, and areolas to a higher area on the chest wall. The nipples are kept intact and remain connected to the breast. Breast implants can be inserted after Dr. Downey has sculpted your breasts to their new shape and contour.
After sutures are made, she will protect the treatment areas with a supportive bra and surgical dressings.
I've been wanting to do botox and get my skin looking great for some time now. I was a little nervous, Dr. Downey had a great staff, and she was super patient and fed me enough information to calm m...
- Stephanie O.
I had such a great experience with Dr. Downey. I was referred by a friend. This was my third attempt at getting surgery on some trouble spots after significant weight loss. I didn't go in with h...
- Paul V.
It was very easy for me to make a consultation appointment. There was no pressure to sign up for surgery that day. Dr. Downey was very professional and friendly. She answered all my questions an...
- Brittany G.
I had breast augmentation on 12/2/14 and Dr. Downey and staff made the whole experience amazing. Since the surgery I have minimal scarring and I look and feel great! This was one of the best decis...
- Ashly T.
Dr. Cara Downey, thank you so much for the care you gave to me and the exceptional work you have done to my body! You are amazing. Because of you, dreams come true! You are the best! Thank you for ble...
- Andrea C.
I didn't think I would ever feel this great again. Now I can wear strapless dresses. My shirts no longer have the peep holes near the buttons. I'm just so pleased with the work Dr. Downey has done. Bu...
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT INCISION TECHNIQUES?
- Classic Anchor Incision (WISE Pattern) – Utilized for women with abundant excess skin. The incision is made around the nipple, and a vertical line is then extended downwards to the breast fold, across the underside.
- Lollipop Incision – Ideal for women with minimal excess skin. A smaller incision is made around the nipple, extending downwards towards the base of the breast.
- Peri-Areolar Incision – If the breast mound is in a good position, the nipple is simply repositioned with minimal tightening. In most cases, the incision is only limited to the circumference of the areola.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS INVOLVED?
- Poor wound healing
- Poor scaring (especially if prone to keloids or hypertrophic scarring)
- Changes in nipple sensation (increased or decreased)
- Nipple loss (in rare cases)
Smoking increases these risks substantially. Dr. Downey will discuss these potential complications in detail during your consultation just prior to your surgery date.
WHAT IS THE EXPECTED RECOVERY?
Here’s a helpful timeline from Dr. Cara Downey:
24 Hours After Surgery
- Moderate pain in the chest is expected
- Nausea may be expected due to the anesthesia used during surgery
- Surgical dressings and tubes will be removed
1 – 2 Weeks After Surgery
- You can resume showering after 2 – 3 days
- The use of narcotic pain medication will cease after 3 days
- You can return to work and gradually resume daily activities such as driving and household chores
- Low-impact exercises can resume after two weeks, provided your breasts are supported
- Soreness will begin to subside
1 Month After Surgery
- Dr. Downey will remove your compression garments
- You can resume wearing normal bras (Seeking pairs without an underwire are recommended as it may irritate the surgical scars)
- You can resume having full baths
3 Months After Surgery
- Scars will begin to fade
- You can gradually resume activities and workouts that will raise your heart rate and blood pressure
- Your breasts will settle to their final shape and you will begin to feel completely normal by this time
Request Your Consultation
To learn more about breast lift (mastopexy), you can schedule an appointment online or you can call +1 713-496-2427