A Mommy Makeover is a blanket term used for a group of procedures that women may choose to undergo after childbearing. As a mother of twins, Dr. Cara Downey has focused a large part of her practice on restoring the female figure after childbirth via breast enhancement surgeries, tummy tucks, and other rejuvenation procedures. Collectively, these procedures reverse any undesirable physical changes that may have occurred postpartum.
While these surgeries can be performed separately by multiple plastic surgeons, effectively combining them into a single procedure takes a highly-talented, experienced, and board-certified plastic surgeon. In Houston, Texas, Dr. Cara Downey has delivered beautiful, effective, and consistent mommy makeover results to hundreds of women!
COST OF MOMMY MAKEOVER IN OUR PRACTICE
The overall mommy makeover price in Houston is about $6,000 – $20,000. This may vary depending on the number of surgical procedures to be performed, the anesthesia used, the location of the plastic surgery, and your surgeon’s fees.
You may discuss your overall treatment plans with Dr. Downey. Schedule a consultation today!
WHAT PROCEDURES ARE INVOLVED IN THE PROCEDURE?
The tummy tuck procedure is the primary element in a mommy makeover surgery. It covers everything from the repair of separated abdominal muscles, elimination of excess skin and fat, and stretch mark removal. Additionally, the procedure can alter the position of the belly button on the mid-section.
The liposuction procedure is the removal of excess fat from the woman’s stomach, back, arms, or thighs. It is often done in conjunction with a tummy tuck, to help sculpt and shape the silhouette.
The breast rejuvenation portion of the makeover surgery usually combines a Breast Lift with Breast Augmentation or Breast Reduction. When combined, these procedures can alter the shape, appearance, and size of the breasts.
In addition to these major procedures, women may also choose to undergo other surgeries and treatments to further restore their bodies. This may include:
- Brazilian Butt Lift involves the use of harvested fat to lift and sculpt your buttocks.
- Vaginal rejuvenation repairs damaged vaginal and labial tissue. Dr. Cara Downey performs labiaplasty and Viveve treatments to aid with this process.
- There are also various non-surgical procedures you may undergo as part of your mommy makeovers, such as Coolsculpting and facial fillers.
ARE YOU QUALIFIED FOR A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
Evaluation is a necessary step in a mommy makeover. The following criteria are usually considered:
- You experienced undesirable physical changes since giving birth, such as sagging breasts or stretch marks
- It has been six months since you finished breastfeeding
- You no longer have any plans to give birth to more children
- You are within the recommended Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or below
- You have realistic goals about your desired figure
After Dr. Downey confirms that you are an ideal candidate for a mommy makeover, she will discuss your options with you. She will help determine the correct procedures that best suit your expected results.
HOW DO YOU PREPARE THE PROCEDURE?
Because of the number of procedures involved in a mommy makeover, it is important to take good care of your body. Dr. Downey often suggests that you:
- Maintain your ideal BMI with diet and exercise.
- Avoid smoking for up to 6 weeks before surgery.
- Do not take any aspirin, ibuprofen, or other anti-inflammatory medicines within 10 days of surgery.
HOW IS MOMMY MAKEOVER PERFORMED?
It takes 3 – 6 hours to complete the procedure. This may vary depending on the number of procedures and the anesthesia used.
Dr. Downey highly recommends the use of general anesthesia for a mommy makeover.
Traditional mommy makeover techniques involve abdominoplasty with or without liposuction. If liposuction is needed to remove excess fat, this is performed first before the tummy tuck. Incisions are made horizontally along the abdomen, just above your hips. This allows Dr. Downey to easily tighten your abdominal muscles, trim away excess skin, and close the surgical sites once completed. Breast enhancements may also be part of the procedure. Incisions will depend on the surgery you are scheduled to undergo. The incisions are often made around the areola, down to the breast crease in the case of a lift or reduction or under the fold for augmentation alone.
Liposuction entry points are closed off with medical tape. Absorbable and dissolvable sutures are used to close any wounds and incisions from a tummy tuck and breast enhancement. These will naturally disappear during the recovery process, leaving behind some scars. Dr. Downey may choose to reinforce the sutures with medical tape and surgical dressings, including a compression garment and surgical bra.
I've been wanting to do botox and get my skin looking great for some time now. I was a little nervous, Dr. Downey had a great staff, and she was super patient and fed me enough information to calm m...
- Stephanie O.
I had such a great experience with Dr. Downey. I was referred by a friend. This was my third attempt at getting surgery on some trouble spots after significant weight loss. I didn't go in with h...
- Paul V.
It was very easy for me to make a consultation appointment. There was no pressure to sign up for surgery that day. Dr. Downey was very professional and friendly. She answered all my questions an...
- Brittany G.
I had breast augmentation on 12/2/14 and Dr. Downey and staff made the whole experience amazing. Since the surgery I have minimal scarring and I look and feel great! This was one of the best decis...
- Ashly T.
Dr. Cara Downey, thank you so much for the care you gave to me and the exceptional work you have done to my body! You are amazing. Because of you, dreams come true! You are the best! Thank you for ble...
- Andrea C.
I didn't think I would ever feel this great again. Now I can wear strapless dresses. My shirts no longer have the peep holes near the buttons. I'm just so pleased with the work Dr. Downey has done. Bu...
WHAT IS THE EXPECTED RECOVERY?
The recovery period of a mommy makeover can be very challenging. It is important to schedule your regular follow-up visits to Dr. Downey’s office to ensure you are healing with no complications. Below is a breakdown of what you can expect during this time:
24 Hours After Surgery
- Surgical drains will help control fluid build-up in your body.
- Due to the number of incisions made on your body, expect sluggish and slow movement.
- Some pain may begin to make itself known as the anesthesia wears off. Dr. Downey will provide you with prescription medications before discharge.
1 – 3 Weeks After Surgery
- It is important to have a friend or family member assist you for at least 3 days.
- Swelling and redness in the surgical sites are expected for at least 2 weeks.
- Surgical drains will remain in place for 2 days to 2 weeks.
- You can resume driving after 2 weeks, provided it is no longer painful to wear a seatbelt.
- You may return to work after 2 weeks, provided the drive/commute is not long or strenuous.
- You can perform light exercise and chores after 3 weeks.
3 Months After Surgery
- You will begin to get used to your new figure after 1 month, once swelling and redness subside.
- You may discontinue the use of your compression garment and surgical bra after 1 month unless liposuction is performed, which requires compression for 90 days.
- Heavy, continuous exercises may resume after 1 month, but avoid lifting anything beyond 10 pounds.
- It is recommended to wear only surgical bras for up to 6 weeks.
- Bruising may continue for up to 6 weeks.
- The final result will manifest after 6 months to 1 year.
Diet and exercise are necessary to maintain your new look.
Request Your Consultation
To learn more about mommy makeover, you can schedule an appointment online or you can call +1 713-496-2427